Disaster Recovery and Climate Change Adaptation Program – North East Victoria
Are you prepared to stand with your community in times of need? As our climate changes and natural disasters strike, we need community leadership. You are invited to join with others from the region to learn leadership skills and practical knowledge in this space. Be empowered to step up during and after a natural disaster, and confidently take climate change adaptation actions from ideas through to outcomes. Learn what other communities in the North East are doing to support disaster recovery and climate change adaptation. Be part of a network that will lead change towards 2050.
This program will be delivered by Alpine Valleys Community Leadership (AVCL). It is funded by the Commonwealth Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources as part of the Black Summer Bushfire Recovery Grants Program.
AVCL will lead the program, facilitating a range of sessions that will be delivered by subject matter experts and climate change adaption leaders. The program will be a total of 8 days, delivered over a five month duration, commencing in August through to December 2022. The focus is to develop leadership skills and strengthen capacity to work with rural communities in leading change, particularly as it relates to disaster recovery and climate change.
Key areas of learning will include:
- Learn key leadership fundamentals for building regional relationships.
- Understand climate information and how to have meaningful conversations about climate change.
- Learn about climate change impacts on your community, agricultural business and environment.
- Gain knowledge regarding the importance of resilience, health and wellbeing in our communities.
- Learn what other communities in the North East and border regions are doing to support disaster recovery and climate change adaptation.
- Develop your leadership skills and consolidate your understanding of community leadership in action.
- August 3 & 4 – The Priory Beechworth, overnight retreat
- September 2 – Wodonga
- September 30 – Dederang
- October 21 – Wangaratta
- November 17 & 18 – Corryong, overnight retreat
- November 28 – Winton Wetlands